Who would you call when it’s time to plaster your building? Do you really need a plasterer? Well, these questions can only be answered when you understand the key components of plastering and how a professional plasterer works.
Today’s post will cover how you can choose the right plasterer for your project, what makes a plasterer good enough and the cost of plastering. When you know all these it becomes easy to select a local expert plasterer anytime any day.
How to know a good plasterer and functional plastering
- Check walls for rough patches. Good plasterers don’t leave trowel marks behind after a wall plaster. They will make sure all wall roughness is levelled and smooth before painting is done.
- Take note of the finishing. The kind of finishing touches present will differentiate a poorly done wall plastering from a professionally done, even surface.
- Look out for too much wall cracks.
- Examine the ceiling and wall joints to see if there are potential crack signals. This will highlight poor taping. Badly done plastering will present paper-based taping. If you see this, know that the plastering is questionable.
- Feel the back of your hand against the newly done, decoration-free wall plaster to check for smoothness. The degree of smoothness you feel is a measure of how perfect the plastering is.
Hiring tips to get a good plasterer
You can get the finest plasterer in London with the following tips:
- Seek family and friends recommendations: While you may do some digging with your smart phone, you can save yourself that stress by asking your friends and family who have had plastering done in the past about who did it. They can tell you about their plasterer, if they achieved their desired plastering results, and if the tradesperson can come in highly recommended.
- Search online: You have done well to begin your quest for a good plasterer by asking neighbours, relatives and colleagues. However, if these don’t know any qualified plasterer, you can extend your search by looking online.
Look for your local area plasterers by posting your request on local online community groups. Reviews on reliable ones will show up.
Facebook is another app you can use to streamline your search as it has special communities where recommendations and queries about specific services and products are discussed. Leverage this to search for local plasterers.
- Get to know some plastering basics: Understanding the primary background of any job you need a hire for will give you an edge while selecting the best hire. So, learn some plastering basics and be equipped with primary knowledge on plastering and you’re good to go.
- Discuss plastering methods: Ask your potential plasterer how they intend to get the job done and if they can give you want you want. Each plasterer may have different techniques. Ask about the tools they will use, their procedure and expectations. This way, you can be sure of getting a professional plasterer.
- Go for experience: For a properly done plastering, the key requirements are the knowledge and skills of the tradesmen. It’s likely they may have acquired formal trade qualifications. But you would know an expert by their experience, jobs they’ve done, and if all the needed materials and tools are available.
Experience is highly valuable when looking for a plasterer. This is because an experienced craftsman will work smart and timely to deliver the desired results.
If a plasterer has qualifications, it shows they have passion and dedication to providing high quality services. In the UK, a plasterer with NVQ qualifications is highly recognise for excellence.
- Consider reviews and ratings of plasterers: Customer reviews indicate how good or bad a plasterer’s service has been. By reading these feedbacks you can different the professional from the poorly experienced. You can also learn what they can do and if their services meet the requirements of your home.
- Ask for plastering quotes: To hire a competent local plasterer, ask for estimates from a number of them. It becomes easier to compare prices. In addition to knowing how much a plastering will cost, remember that experience, skill, and good quality workmanship are relevant. With many job quotes from different plasterers you can decide who is more qualified to get the job.
Paint Works London offers zero-cost quotes following your needs. And these estimates are without hidden charges. Feel free to contact us now and let’s discuss your project.