Citrus fruits are delicious, but did you know that the peels of these fruits can also be used for your health and beauty? While many people discard the peel, there are several benefits to eating them. Citrus peels contain flavonoids and other beneficial compounds that have been shown to help improve gut inflammation and digestive health, reduce oxidative stress and cellular aging in the body, prevent cancer, improve weight loss results, keep you cool during hot weather—and even make your skin look healthy!
Citrus peels contain flavonoids
- Flavonoids are antioxidants.
- Antioxidants work to prevent cellular damage.
- Citrus peels contain flavonoids.
- Citrus peels are good for your skin, gut, and brain! Jessica Simpson Weight Loss
Citrus peels reduce gut inflammation and improve digestive health.
- Citrus peels are rich in fiber, which helps with digestion and bowel movements.
- They have anti-inflammatory properties, which can help with stomach pain and bloating.
- Studies have shown that citrus peels can also help with gas and bloating due to their ability to regulate the digestive system’s function (1).
- When taken orally as a supplement or added to your diet, citrus peels can improve your gut health by reducing inflammation throughout the entire digestive tract (2).
Citrus peels are good for your skin.
Citrus peels are good for your skin.
You may have seen this statement before, but you probably didn’t know what it meant or how to use them for healthy skin benefits. First off, let’s talk about the four most common citrus fruits: orange, lime, lemon and grapefruit. Each has their own benefits when applied topically to your face or body. For example:
- Orange peel powder can reduce redness in sensitive facial skin
- Lime juice helps alleviate acne breakouts
- Lemon juice is an astringent that tightens pores and brightens complexion
Citrus peel is beneficial for weight loss.
Citrus peels are full of beneficial properties, some of which can aid in weight loss. It is rich in limonene, which helps to boost metabolism and improve digestion.
The pectin found in citrus peel slows down digestion, thus making you feel fuller for longer. This means that you won’t be tempted to snack on things that are not good for your diet such as chocolate or chips. Most importantly though, the flavonoids found in citrus peel help to reduce weight by reducing inflammation and preventing build-up of fat cells.
Citrus peels reduce oxidative stress and cellular aging.
- Citrus peels have antioxidants, which help protect you from cellular aging.
- They’re good for your skin, as they can reduce oxidative stress and inflammation.
- They can help you beat the heat! Citrus peels are great for sun protection because they have high amounts of vitamin C and other antioxidants that protect your skin from UV rays and free radicals.
- You can use citrus peels to lose weight by eating the peel or drinking a glass of water with lemon essential oil added to it (about 2 drops per 8 oz.).
- You can also use citrus peels to prevent cancer by adding them in your diet or drinking essential oils mixed with water as mentioned above.
- Lastly, citrus peels contain limonene which helps fight inflammation in our bodies by increasing production of glutathione—an antioxidant that helps remove toxins from our bodies—and therefor makes us healthier overall!
Citrus peels can help prevent cancer.
Citrus peels are rich in antioxidants and phytonutrients that fight free radicals and help prevent cancer.
A study published in the Journal of Agricultural Food Chemistry found that limonene—a compound found in citrus peels—may help prevent cancer.
In addition to its anti-cancer properties, limonene has also been shown to help alleviate symptoms of depression and anxiety, stimulate weight loss, soothe stomach ulcers, reduce heartburn symptoms, ease the pain of menstrual cramps, lower blood pressure and cholesterol levels while improving liver health.
Citrus peels can help you beat the heat!
The summer heat can take a toll on your skin, but citrus peels can help you beat the heat!
- Use a lemon peel to make a facial mask. Lemon peels are great for exfoliating and removing dead skin cells from your face. Simply rub fresh lemon peel on your clean face, then rinse off with warm water or leave it on for up to 15 minutes to let its acidic properties work their magic.
- Make foot scrubs using lime or grapefruit peels instead of sugar scrubs! The acidity in these fruits helps break down hard skin, while also moisturizing and softening dry skin thanks to its citric oils. You can use this scrub as often as you like—just remember that it’s not recommended for people with sensitive skin (like those with eczema). If you do have sensitive skin, just dilute the peel paste by mixing equal parts water into it before applying it to your feet!
- Body scrubs should not be limited solely to body parts; use them all over! For example: If you’re looking for arms that feel softer than marshmallow fluff after being rubbed down with pineapple pulp mixed with olive oil, try rubbing off some rough patches first by massaging half an hour before showering again — because what better way is there than getting refreshed after waking up early?
Ways to Use Citrus Peels for Healthy Skin
Citrus peels are great for exfoliation and can be used in your beauty routine, kitchen, garden and even to make your home smell good. They also help you to make a natural face mask.
- Exfoliate with them
- Use them as a natural cleaning product
- Make a DIY face mask
While eating citrus fruits is great, you can get even more out of them by using the peels.
While eating citrus fruits is great, you can get even more out of them by using the peels. Citrus peels are full of nutrients and antioxidants, which makes them an excellent addition to your skincare routine. Below are seven ways to use citrus peels that will help you achieve beautiful skin:
- 1 Use the peel as a face wash or scrub.
- 2 Toss a few grapefruit slices in your water for an antioxidant boost.
- 3 Make a DIY deodorant with orange essential oil because it’s anti-fungal and antimicrobial as well as being uplifting and energizing!
- 4 Rub some lemon around your cuticles every morning before bedtime so your nails stay nice and healthy looking all year long without having to shell out big bucks on fancy treatments at the salon every month like I used too 😉
- 5 Citrus oils have been shown time again how effective they can be against acne breakouts so if anyone who suffers from this problem knows what I’m talking about! Here’s one way we like using them.”
The health benefits of citrus peels are truly astounding. The high levels of flavonoids in the peels can help fight off cancer, prevent oxidative stress and cellular aging, reduce inflammation in your gut and even improve your digestion. In addition to these benefits, there are also many ways that you can use citrus peels to get even more out of them! You can use them as a natural deodorizer by rubbing them on your skin or sprinkling them around the house; they have anti-inflammatory properties that make them perfect for treating acne or other skin conditions too